January Adult Spotlight




January Spotlight



Meet Megan!

Tell us a little about yourself.

I was born in Indianapolis, Indiana and moved around from California and Florida before landing in Texas when I was younger.  I currently live in Ponder, Texas with my husband and two children.  My husband and I met in high school, and we have been married for 13 years.  Our son Landon is 13 and our daughter Livia is 10.  I am currently on the Spina Bifida Association of North Texas board and serve on the Adult Advisory Committee. 


What are your favorite hobbies?

My favorite hobbies are traveling and thrifting. As a young kid my parents always found time to take us traveling around the world and my love for traveling grew from there.  Thrifting has always been fun for me to go inside a store and find a hidden treasure.


What are you currently doing or working towards?  What are some of your current goals?  (Current job, dream job, education, etc.) 

My current goal is to be the best wife and mom I can be.  I want to show my kids that Spina Bifida hasn't slowed me down in parenting.  


What are some of your earliest Spina Bifida related memories? (SBANT events, conferences, camp, doctors, meeting other kids with SB, etc).

Most of my Spina Bifida memories from an early age are all the fun I use to have while being admitted into the hospitals.  I recall riding a tricycle in the halls, friends sending me things to hang in my rooms and getting special food deliveries.  Rather it be for surgeries or infections the hospitals always made it fun with crafts, visitors, toys and nice nurses.


What have been some of your greatest challenges in life?

While being a mom has been my greatest achievement, it has also been my greatest challenge with learning how to parent with a disability.  But in the end, I have learned my own way to allow to be the best I can be.  Another great challenge in my life is pain control.  It has caused me to miss out on some events that people don't understand unless you are in the situation.


What are some of your greatest strengths? How do you think your challenges have shaped your strengths?

One of my greatest strengths is being kind to others.  I always consider other people feelings and just like the saying goes "treat others like you would like to be treated. 


Who was your favorite doctor or nurse that has had a lasting impact on you?

I had so many great doctors and nurses growing up and still have some.  Just to name a few, Dr. Ewalt, Dr. Richard, and a nurse Elaine Edmark (not sure on spelling).  And while finding adult doctors is so hard for Spina Bifida, I absolutely love my urologist Dr. Feagins.  He has always had great bedside manner and really gets to know you on a personal level.


Do you have any funny stories from doctor appointments or hospital stays?

A story my husband and I always laugh about is A few years ago I was getting Botox in my bladder.  I was trying to save money and do it in the office instead of the hospital. I guess I felt it more than I have before, and it was so painful.  My husband said he could hear me yelling from the waiting room.  Since then, I have always done it in the hospital now.


What have you found in common with others with Spina Bifida?

I think the most common thing with others with Spina Bifida are the high number of surgeries with have endured over our lives.  We understand each other better then someone who does not have spina bifida.


As an adult with Spina Bifida, what would be your best piece of advice for someone young?

I would say always listen to your doctors and speak up if you feel that something isn't right.  With a little bit of determination and a lot of prayer you can find a way to succeed.  I can do all things that strengthens me (Philippians 4:13)


If there was one thing you could tell the world, what would it be?

We all have a purpose in life.  Discover your gift that God gave you and serve others.



Comments